The nomination period for the President’s Sustainability Leadership Awards is now open. The awards recognize students, faculty and staff who are contributing to making York University a leader in sustainability among postsecondary institutions. By recognizing the important work that sustainability champions are doing at York University, the awards are designed to celebrate this work and encourage others to get involved in sustainability initiatives on the University’s campuses. Now in its third year, up to five awards will be given out.
“York has a long history of innovation and excellence in sustainability,” said President and Vice-Chancellor Mamdouh Shoukri. “These awards recognize those individuals, groups or offices across our campuses whose efforts are significantly enhancing the University’s sustainability leadership and innovation, and contributing to a culture of environmental awareness here at York.”
Any student, faculty or staff member from the University community can nominate any other individual or group for consideration. Nominees will be considered for the award based on their demonstrated leadership in sustainability, specifically through the following criteria:
- the overall impact of the nominee’s contributions to sustainability on campus, including the depth (how significant the contribution is) and breadth (how widespread, collaborative and/or replicable the contribution is);
- degree of innovation and originality, and/or degree of enhancement (to existing initiatives); and
- how the individual or group went “over and above the call of duty” (additional time and resources committed that were not part of their job description or academic program).
To submit a nomination, visit the President’s Sustainability Leadership Awards page.
Nominations will be accepted until Friday, March 4.
Previous winners of the President’s Sustainability Leadership Award are:
- Bonfire Implementation Team (Procurement Services and Finance)
- Food Services Department
- Glendon Roots and Shoots
- Meagan Heath
- Regenesis at York
- Brad Cochrane
- Tim Haagsma
- Osgoode Sustainability Committee
- Planning and Renovations Unit, CSBO
- Helen Psathas