Vice-President Research & Innovation Amir Asif officially launched a series of community consultations regarding a new Strategic Research Plan for the University at an open forum held Sept. 28 in the Dr. Robert Everett Senate Chambers at the Keele Campus.
Members of the York community attended the open forum, both in person and virtually to discuss the plan that will articulate the priorities and vision for the future of York research over the next five years. The open forum provided an opportunity for community members to learn more about consultation process and the goals for the plan.
“These community consultations are a vital part of a process to develop the plan. The goals of the consultation process are to engage the York community in an open, collaborative and ongoing discussion about the University’s research vision and values in developing an aspirational plan that is meaningful to the entire community,” explains Asif.
Participants shared their thoughts and advice via a lively and engaging discussion in two breakout sessions. Among the comments offered by those present at the open forum:
- An emphasis on reinforcing leadership on partnered and community-based research into the overall research aspirations of the University.
- The desire to integrate the United Nations Sustainability Development Goals (UN SDGs) within the plan.
- A greater focus on sustainability and climate crisis, as a separate or enhanced opportunity area within the plan.
- An emphasis on continuing work in advancing pathways for Indigenous and other racialized scholars and enabling their research success.
- The importance of highlighting advancements in scientific discovery including science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM), social sciences, humanities, and arts through collaborative, large-scale initiatives and international partnerships.
Additional comments included areas around healthy aging, racial justice, equity, diversity and inclusion, enhanced research services, and increased support for research infrastructure in enabling strategic research success.
As part of the ongoing nature of the consultation process, York students, staff and faculty are invited to continue the discussion with Asif through three upcoming community chats. The community chats are intended to be unstructured feedback sessions across the university to discuss the strategic research plan development with the VPRI.
The community chats will be held on.
|Friday, Oct. 21||9 to 10 a.m.||402 HNES|
|Tuesday, Nov. 1||1 to 2 p.m.||283 Winters College|
|Tuesday, Nov. 29||11 a.m. to noon||305B Lumbers|
For more information on the community chats and the Strategic Research Plan, click here.