York University President and Vice-Chancellor Rhonda Lenton and Newmarket Mayor John Taylor signed a new five-year Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on Sept. 14 – a clear commitment to advance shared goals and create positive change in Newmarket.
The signing ceremony was held in the Town of Newmarket Council Chambers and marks the beginning of an exciting, collaborative approach that will strengthen the relationship between Newmarket and York University.
“We are pleased to partner with the Town of Newmarket to develop sustainable, equitable and prosperous opportunities that will enhance and enrich our communities and drive positive change,” said Lenton. “By collaborating together on innovative programming, diverse experiential learning opportunities, and cutting-edge research, we are enriching the student living experience, building the next generation of future leaders and strengthening our impact on the global problems affecting our local communities.”
The MOU is a five-year agreement that highlights three main areas of focus:
- exploring new opportunities for Newmarket to host York University programs, and/or to develop programming;
- experiential learning opportunities at the Town of Newmarket for York University students in areas of importance like public policy administration and law, urban planning, environmental studies, law, Glendon Interpretation Program, engineering and technology, and more;
- collaboration on research, capstone projects, professional development and/or community education opportunities between the Town of Newmarket and York University faculty including but not limited to:
- executive education opportunities for town staff advancing the Town’s Smart City goals;
- supporting the Town’s needs related to transportation and traffic;
- supporting the Town’s goals related to equity, diversity, and inclusion; and
- advancing the Town’s environmental and sustainability goals.
“Newmarket’s success is tied to the strength of our partnerships. Newmarket has a history of working with York University on a variety of social and economic initiatives,” said Taylor during the event. “The agreement signed today formalizes our partnership and creates a framework to accelerate and expand the ways we work together and bring more benefits to the community. I’m excited to expand our partnership and its potential to make Newmarket even better.”