Students between the ages of 17 and 24 are invited to apply to participate in the Sustainable on the Go Youth Engagement Program, an initiative to engage youth in discussions on the future of higher education.
On Nov. 17 during International Education Week 2022, York University and its international partners will host the second Sustainable on the Go Conference (SOTG 2022), an event designed to engage new voices, partners and stakeholders in creative dialogue formats to further enrich the discussion on sustainable and inclusive internationalization in higher education.
In the lead-up to the conference, organizers want to hear from young voices from around the world who can share insights on how studying abroad and learning to respectfully work in intercultural teams can make a difference.
The pre-conference Youth Engagement Program is facilitated by York’s conference partner, Crossing Borders Education (CBE). It will provide students with the international group experience of building trust across cultural differences and establishing a dialogue culture to actively engage with each other, collaborate and creatively contribute to the themes of the SOTG 2022 Conference.
SOTG 2022 is co-organized by York International, the UNESCO Chair in Reorienting Education towards Sustainability, McLaughlin College, and international partners.
Students can make a difference
Participate to gain skills, creativity and knowledge to be a part of and co-facilitate sessions at the SOTG 2022 in November. CBE will facilitate the virtual pre-conference sessions in small groups so participants experience the depth, vulnerability, and courage necessary to nurture capacities of empathic listening and human care.
- Explore topics of resilience, creativity and belonging through the art of story.
- Experience empathic intercultural dialogue and storytelling activities that support you to connect with other likeminded university students around the world.
- Grow into a caring international youth community that will equip you to meaningfully contribute to the themes of the SOGT 2022.
- Learn more: Experience Deep Connections, Uplifting Peer Community and Active Hope. This 2-minute trailer shows the depth of connection that you are invited to experience.
- Applicants must be between 17 and 24 years old and are enrolled as a student in a higher education institution at the time of the application and for the duration of the program.
- Applicants who would like to work in an international team of youth leaders to contribute to an international conference and make a difference.
- Applicants should have an interest and/or experience in the SOTG 2022 themes and/or intercultural learning.
- Applicants should be ready to commit and can attend the three virtual workshops in July 2022 (two hours each session).
- Applicants have a working knowledge of English and can engage in virtual platforms.
How to apply
Send your statement of interest: In 300 words or less, share who you are, and what inspires to be part of the SOTG 2022. You might include previous experience with international education and/or sustainability and your life/career goals. Apply online before April 30.