York University postgraduate students and postdoctoral Fellows have until Oct. 29 to apply for the new Innovation York Commercialization Fellowship, funded by Innovation York in the Office of the Vice-President Research and Innovation. The fellowships are intended to support the research commercialization process by providing strategic, short-term funding to assist in the development of commercially viable projects.
The Innovation York Commercialization Fellowships, which will support projects with commercial potential from across the University, are offered on a short-term, part-time basis and are intended to run alongside existing research work without detracting from it. Recipients will be given $7,500 per fellowship. While matching funds are not mandatory, applications that include matching funds will be looked upon favourably.
As part of the fellowship, the Fellows will receive education on intellectual property and commercialization, exposure to industry/community partners relevant to their field of study and an experiential learning opportunity. Fellows will be supported by a series of educational activities, including workshops and seminars, and expected to complete tasks to enhance their commercial awareness.
The fellowships can be used to support proof of concept, prototype testing and validation studies, to fund a stipend for the Fellow and to pay for materials required for the project.
Each Fellow will be assigned an Innovation York commercialization manager to work with and ensure that the project plan described in the application is carried out. Fellows will meet monthly with their allocated manager to monitor progress. In addition, Fellows will be required to generate two reports and give one final presentation.
- Oct. 1 – applications open
- Oct. 29 – applications close
- Nov. 26 – awards confirmed and funds allocated
- Jan. 29, 2022 – IN-PART report due
- March 31, 2022 – projects completed
- April 30, 2022 – final report and presentation
*Dates are tentative and subject to change.
How to apply:
- Visit innovationyork.ca/commercialization-fellowship and download the application form by clicking “apply now” at the bottom of the web page.
- Fill out the application form.
- Send the completed application form to email@example.com by Oct. 29 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time.
For more information about the Innovation York Commercialization Fellowships, visit innovationyork.ca/commercialization-fellowship.