York University lands Top 20 spot in six of nine programs rated across Canada in "Maclean's" ranking
York University appeared in six of the nine Top 20 lists Maclean's magazine compiled to rank university programs in Canada.
The 2021 rankings, published in October, lists York University as a top-rated university in the following categories: Business (No. 8), Education (No. 5), Environmental Science (No. 14), Mathematics (No. 14), Nursing (No. 19) and Psychology (No. 6).
The rankings consider both program reputation and research reputation in each program category.
In the overall rankings for comprehensive schools, York University placed sixth, moving up one spot from the 2020 rankings when it was No. 7.
Some highlights from the rankings include:
- York University was ranked sixth for its Psychology program behind UBC, McGill and University of Toronto (which all tied for No. 1) and University of Alberta and Western University (which tied for No. 2).
- York University's ranking in the Psychology program jumped to No. 6 from No. 10 in the 2020 rankings.
- In the Education program category, York University was ranked fifth behind UBC and University of Toronto (tied for No. 1), the University of Calgary (No. 3), and the University of Alberta (No. 4).
- York University's ranking in the Education program jumped to No. 5 from No. 10 in the 2020 rankings.
- York University's ranking in the Environmental Science category landed a No. 14 spot this year, and did not appear on the 2020 ranking list.
For more information on the rankings published by Maclean's, visit www.macleans.ca/education/university-rankings-2021.
By Ashley Goodfellow Craig, deputy editor, YFile