First-year students invited to Silken Laumann's Unsinkable Freshman Event, Sept. 29
First-year students at York University are invited to participate in an exciting virtual event on Sept. 29 led by Olympian, inspirational speaker and author Silken Laumann.
The Unsinkable Freshman Event, co-sponsored by York's Faculty of Health, invites first-year students from across North America to connect during an event designed to support and celebrate a new 'COVID-19' school year.
Beginning at 7 p.m., the event aims to build resilience among first-year students by presenting celebrity video messages, a high-profile keynote speaker and a panel of speakers that will communicate strategies and tips to help achieve success in this unprecedented time during their post-secondary experience.
As well, York students participating in the event will have a special opportunity to engage in a live Q-and-A with Laumann. There will also be giveaways, such as Starbucks prizes and Visa cards.
Unsinkable is a non-profit organization founded by Laumann that educates and empowers youth on their journey to mental and physical health. It aims to share stories, amplify voices and create a community of support.
The agenda for this hour-long event includes:
- Lacy Hartselle, Unsinkable youth ambassador, opens event and introduces Monique Coleman, actor, producer, activist and host who is best known for playing ‘Taylor Mckessie’ in the High School Musical franchise for the Disney Channel
- Monique Coleman delivers keynote and Q-and-A
- Celebrity video messages, followed by introduction of Silken Laumann
- Panel discussion: Building Resilience with Lacy Hartselle, CFL legend Pinball Clemons, psychologist Dr. Khush Amaria and Unsinkable youth ambassador Mikaela Brewer; moderated by first-year student and Unsinkable youth ambassador Ella Nugent
- Poem read by Wali Shah
- Musical Performance, introduced by Huron University
- Closing remarks, prizes and $500 tuition prize giveaway
- Q-and-A with Silken Laumann for sponsor schools
First-year students are invited to register for the event at: https://ca.surveygizmo.com/s3/50084119/Unsinkable-Youth-Event-Registration.