Brainstorm, a special edition of YFile publishing on the first Friday of every month, showcases research and innovation at York University. It offers compelling and accessible, feature-length stories about the world-leading and policy-relevant work of York’s academics and researchers across all disciplines and faculties, and encompasses both pure and applied research.
In the March 2018 issue:
- Seminal report on youth homelessness delivers sound policy recommendations: Through a ground-breaking new brief, the Homeless Hub paints a vivid picture of youth homelessness and the child welfare system. Its findings will be relevant to decision- and policy-makers at all levels of government.
- Q&A with Michael Greyeyes on his dance-opera as a vehicle for healing Canada: York Theatre Prof talks about his deepest examination to date into the trauma of the residential school experience: Bearing, which premiered last spring. He hopes this highly collaborative production will help the nation move forward, together.
- Research plus data analytics equals a clearer picture of consumer behaviour: Beyond providing an overview of advertising methods and research, York’s University’s Russell Belk presses for the combination of qualitative research and data analytics to paint a more vivid picture of consumer behaviour.
- Research fills void in our understanding of mental effort for those with ADHD: A new study out of York University shows that the experience of mental effort is different in individuals at risk for ADHD compared to those not at risk – a research ‘first’ in the most commonly studied childhood mental disorder.
- Knowledge Mobilization at York goes global: Executive Director David Phipps describes the Knowledge Mobilization Unit’s evolution. The sky’s the limit for this powerhouse as it engages with others around the world interested in impact.
Launched in January 2017, Brainstorm is produced out of the Office of the Vice-President Research & Innovation in partnership with Communications & Public Affairs; overseen by Megan Mueller, manager, Research Communications; and edited by Jenny Pitt-Clark, the YFile editor.