A search is underway for dean of the Faculty of Graduate Studies/associate vice-president graduate.
The search committee is chaired by Vice-Provost Academic Alice Pitt and membership is as follows:
- Christopher Ardern, professor, School of Kinesiology & Health Science, Faculty of Health;
- Aleksander Czekanski, professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Lassonde School of Engineering;
- Merouan Mekouar, assistant professor, Department of Social Science, Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies (LA&PS);
- Victor Shea, graduate program director, Department of Humanities, Faculty of Graduate Studies (FGS) and LA&PS;
- Michael Zryd, professor, Department of Cinema & Media Studies, School of the Arts, Media, Performance & Design, and associate dean, FGS;
- Jinyan Li, professor, Osgoode Hall Law School (president’s designate);
- Bridget Stutchbury, professor, Department of Biology, Faculty of Science (president’s designate);
- Rhonda George, student, Graduate Program in Sociology;
- Munjeera Jefford, student, Graduate Program in Social & Political Thought;
- Almey Tse Soriano, manager, Student Affairs, Office of the Dean, FGS (staff representative); and
- Marla Chodak, Provost’s Office, search committee secretary.
The search will be internal to York University and the search committee has issued a call for applications and nominations (see bit.ly/2opsgiD). The committee is also developing a position profile to provide a more detailed description of the opportunity and the experience and skills sought in candidates, and welcomes input from the community (faculty, staff and students) on the following questions:
- What are the current strengths of FGS?
- How do you see the role of FGS going forward?
- What are the opportunities and challenges?
- What are your goals and aspirations for graduate and postdoctoral education, and for FGS for the next five years?
- What qualifications, experience, skills, qualities, etc. should the committee be seeking in candidates for dean/AVP to move towards those goals?
Input on these questions should be sent to the committee’s secretary, Marla Chodak, by March 5.
Requests for the more detailed position profile (to be available by mid-March) may also be directed to the secretary. Applications and nominations should be submitted by March 29.