This week, York University faculty, staff and students will see a new events calendar. The old calendar will be permanently retired. The new calendar can be viewed at http://events.info.yorku.ca/.
The new calendar has been developed and tested over the last two years by University Information Technology in partnership with Faculties. The calendar offers many distinct advantages. It is built using the Time.ly calendaring system and offers full iCalendar support. Users can set up individualized calendars and import event feeds from other calendars.
Central WordPress users can enable a calendar on their websites. Faculties, departments and divisions can apply to have their calendar feed included on the main York University calendar site. To set up a calendar or activate a feed, go to https://yfile.news.yorku.ca/time-ly-setup-and-feed-requests/.
Advantages of the new calendar include:
- The ability to create recurring events,
- filtering by event category or tag,
- easy sharing with Google Calendar, Apple iCal, MS Outlook and any other system that accepts iCalendar (.ics) feeds,
- embedded photographs and Google Maps,
- colour-coded events based on category,
- featured event images and category images,
- day, week, month, agenda or poster board views,
- the ability to import other calendars automatically to display in your calendar,
- categorizing and tagging of imported calendar feeds automatically,
- events link to the original calendar.
Time.ly, the calendar developer, also provides documentation at https://time.ly/document/user-guide/using-calendar/.