On Tuesday evening, York University’s Faculty of Science hosted its annual Honours and Awards evening. The ceremony recognized the achievements of top students and professors in the Faculty.
Opening the event, Dean Ray Jayawardhana commended the outstanding accomplishments of the honorees. “This evening we are reminded, yet again, of the truly remarkable community that is York Science,” he said. “We are inspired by the excellence of our students and the professors that teach and guide them.”
This year more than 400 students, parents and faculty members were treated to keynote speaker, York Science alumnus Dan Riskin (MSc ’00). Riskin is an author, the co-host of Daily Planet, and an evolutionary biologist. He spoke with passion about his career as a scientist and broadcaster.
To view a full album of images from the evening, visit the Honours and Awards evening Facebook page.
Some accolades of the night were:
Excellence in Teaching Awards
- Scott Menary – Senior-Tenure Stream Faculty
- Kyle Belozerov – Non-Tenure Stream Faculty
- Thuc-Nghi Pham – Richard Jarrell Excellence in Teaching Award for Teaching Assistants
Excellence in Research Awards
- Matthew Johnson – Early Research Award
- Norbert Bartel – Established Research Award
- Christopher Lortie – Graduate Mentorship Award
Graduate Student Awards
- Alexandra Terrana – NSERC Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship
- Yana Boeva, Suharto Chakma and Soma Tripathi – Ontario Trillium Scholarship
- Bretton Fosbrook – SSHRC Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship
- Ernest Bimm, Lisa Cockburn, and Angela Cope – SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship
Undergraduate Student Awards
- Jessica Maloh – York University Award of Achievement
- Chrobok Nicholas, Joel George, Natalia Pan, Shaili Perez, Antonette Spagnuolo and Catherine Spagnuolo – York University President’s Scholarships
- Altman Joshua, Barron Boris, Brigida Bruno, Danica Chaharlangi, Christian Colavecchia, Ashley Esteves, Joshua Fletcher, Joel George, Yaakov Green, Daniel Ng, Shaili Perez, Kiarash Salehigilani, Vijay Sandhu, Erica Shenfeld, Catherine Spagnuolo, Danielle Stein, Houman Tahmasebi and Jonathan Tebbi – York University President’s Honour Roll
The awards ceremony was followed by a reception where students and parents had the opportunity to meet Riskin, and mingle with their professors and senior University administrators.