York University is participating in the annual Take Our Kids to Work program, a day when Grade 9 students accompany a parent, guardian, relative to work to observe the daily activities of the employee at work. This year’s program will take place on Nov. 4.
The Take Our Kids to Work program at York University is open to University staff and faculty members.
York students who wish to bring their own Grade 9 student to campus must make prior arrangements with a York staff or faculty member to have the student observe the staff or faculty member in a work environment. Completion of the Permission and Release, Waiver & Indemnification Forms applies.
To enhance the basic program of having students shadow their parent/guardian at work, the University is offering the following optional activities:
- Information session (overview of academic programs at York) and campus tour: 10:30am in the Senate Chamber, N940 Ross Building,
- Lunch: 12 to 1pm in the Underground Restaurant, Student Centre.
The campus tour will begin immediately following the session, and will end at the Underground Restaurant, Student Centre, for a complimentary lunch provided by the Office of the Vice-President Finance and Administration.
If participating in the information session and tour, parents are expected to drop students off at the Senate Chamber at 10:15am and then rejoin them for lunch at noon, at the Underground Restaurant. Each parent/guardian is expected to join and remain with her/his child for lunch.
- If students are participating in the above activities, parents are responsible for coordinating drop-off and pick-up from the activities (i.e. students are not to tour or roam between activities without adult supervision).
- Students will not be permitted to leave the lunch area without a parent or guardian.
To register for the Take Our Kids to Work program and for the optional information session, the following is required:
- Faculty and staff who plan on bringing a Grade 9 student to work must complete, sign and return the attached Permission and Release, Waiver & Indemnification Forms (see the Take Our Kids to Work Day Appendix A and B) by October 31 to the address indicated on the form.
- To participate in the information session and campus tour, complete, sign and return the attached Registration Form (see the Take Our Kids to Work Day Appendix A and B) by October 31 to the address indicated on the form.
Health & Safety
There are some areas of the campus such as workshops and science labs where operational risk factors may make it challenging to accommodate a Grade 9 student. If you work in this type of environment, organizers will try to find an alternate supervised University worksite. To arrange an alternate worksite, contact Caroline Sillars-Reid, Human Resources, at ext. 66220 or at email@example.com.
All employees bringing students to participate in the Take Our Kids to Work day program are reminded that the safety rules of the workplace apply to the students and, accordingly, each student should be instructed and supervised by the respective employee.