Six days, 12 events and lots of opportunities to eat and be entertained for free – that’s what YorkFest has to offer students this year.
The festival, which this year marks a 19-year tradition, is organized and hosted by the undergraduate students’ union, the York Federation of Students (YFS).
The week-long series of events kicks off on Monday, Sept. 28, and invites students to participate in meals, entertainment, a lecture, spirit activities and more.
Returning is the popular Festival Village, which features representatives from more than 200 clubs, where students can get acquainted with extracurricular interests on campus.
Here’s a look at this year’s schedule:
Monday, Sept. 28
- Smoothie Breakfast, 10am, Vari Hall – Everyone loves fruit and everyone needs breakfast. Visit the smoothie bar to get the benefits of breakfast with the sweetness of fruit, completely free.
- YorkFest Free Concert, 7pm, Aviva Centre – Come out and watch an amazing free concert featuring headliner Big Sean. The concert is a non-ticketed event for York U undergrads only, and YU Cards are required for entrance into the concert.
Tuesday, Sept. 29
- Casino Night, 7pm, The Underground – This will be a dry event that includes great prizes for all those participating. Get ready for some awesome casino games happening right on campus.
- Green Light Go, noon, Catalpa Court – Visit Catalpa Court for a free lunch. Enjoy a healthy meal catered by Blumont Bistro while visiting the courtyard.
- Madue Barlow Lecture, 4:30 to 7:30pm, 206 Accolade West Building – Maude Barlow, the national chairperson of the Council of Canadians, will speak about water as a threatened resource in this engaging talk. This is event is brought to you by the President’s Sustainability Council and the Office of the Vice-Provost Academic.
Wednesday, Sept. 30
- Festival Village, 10am, Campus Walk – This is the annual event that gives students an opportunity to explore more than 200 clubs and all the colleges on campus. There will be free food, free orientation kits, free giveaways and more. While here, pick up your free YFS agenda.
- #RepYoFlag, 10pm, The Underground – Multicultural Week isn’t the only time we celebrate culture and diversity at York U. Come out to this pub night with your cultural attire, your flag and the energy to party the night away.
Thursday, Oct. 1
- The Bagel Bar, 10am, Vari Hall – There will be lots of free bagels, so join in for a free mid-week breakfast and help us celebrate Spirit Day.
- Dirty Bingo, 8pm, The Underground – A sexy and fun spin on bingo with free Stag Shop prizes to be won. This exciting event will be hosted by Big Mama Two-Four.
Friday, Oct. 2
- Meditation, noon, 307 Student Centre – Join us for a nice, calming end to a hectic week of fun. Allow your mind to relax while learning the art of meditation.
- Red & Blue Bowl, 7pm, York Stadium – Calling all York Lions! “Deep in the heart of the YU jungle, you can hear the Lions rumble!” Cheer on our Lions as they take on the University of Toronto at this year’s homecoming celebration.
Saturday, Oct. 3
- Medieval Times, 7pm, Exhibition Place – A “wayback playback” to the 11th century! Join us as we embark upon a Middle Ages adventure at Medieval Times for a day of feasting, epic sword fights and extraordinary jousting. Tickets are $20 for York U students and can be purchased in the YFS member services office at 106 Student Centre.
For more on YFS news, events and activities, follow the Facebook page.