York University Development Corporation (YUDC) will undertake major upgrades and improvements to the common areas of York Lanes beginning in this month and continuing until mid-July. See the following Q&A for more details.
Will the mall be closed?
York Lanes will remain open and accessible during its normal hours of operations.
What changes will be made?
The summer upgrades will include:
- replacement of the tile floor in the main interior mall;
- addition of new seating clusters with built-in portable device chargers;
- replacement of drywall on the upper walls;
- repainting of entire area;
- replacement of exterior stucco; and
- repainting of metal roof.
When will this happen?
Work will begin in mid-April near the southeast entrance and continue west until mid-July.
Why is this work being done now?
The public areas of York Lanes have not received any major upgrades since the building opened in 1991. These renovations are a continuation of the improvements that were made to the west entrance of the mall in 2012.
How will this affect the York community?
- Interior work will be done overnight to avoid business closures.
- There will be some dust and construction equipment in place throughout the mall.
For more information, contact York Lanes Operations Manager Jim Baliotis at ext. 55462 or Project Coordinator Nancy Boake at ext. 55675.