The context of student experience in higher education has changed dramatically over the past decade. There has been a remarkable shift in focus to enhancing quality in student retention, student engagement and student success. Building on this scholarly and practical work, a new vision has been created for the School of the Arts, Media, Performance and Design and Winters College. The aim is to support collaborative, systematic planning and resourcing to enhance excellent student programming. This will enable us to achieve the goal of providing the ‘highest quality student experience’ . This focus on the student experience directly addresses the University and Faculty’s priorities, as well as recommendations of the 2006 Task Force Report on the Colleges at York University.
The search committee is seeking a dynamic faculty member, with expertise in student learning and development as well as senior level academic experience, to lead the college and implementation of this innovative vision. The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Strengthening and integrating senior leadership of Winters College working closely with the School of the Arts, Media, Performance and Design executive team;
- Providing strategic direction and leadership for the planning, implementation and evaluation of high quality programs for students at all points along the student life-cycle;
- Enhancing the quality of student life on campus by facilitating effective, relevant services, resources, events, ethical student partnerships, and working with internal and external organizations to further the goal of student success;
- Collaborating with the OAISS Office (Academic Affairs and Integrated Student Services), the Office of Student and Academic Services and central services under the VP Students, to foster integrated student success programming;
- Applying a scholarly approach to the identification and implementation of programs to support student engagement and success – ensuring programs are evidence based, measurable and effective;
- Managing Winters College according to the Mastership – Job Description (Adjusted May 2009).
Winters College, while distinctive in its identity and focus, has a shared mission to create a community of learning that supports student success, foster leadership development and provide opportunities for community engagement. The college seeks to involve students, alumni, faculty members, Fellows, staff and community members in an enriching intellectual and social environment. The college master provides leadership for these communities. The master has a commitment to student learning and development and to enhancing the experience of York’s students.
Applications and nominations are invited for the Master of Winters College, commencing July 1, 2015, for a five year period. Candidates should include an updated CV, letter of intent (for those self-nominating, or those who are nominated and agree to have their name stand), and nomination letters.
Reporting to the dean, the successful applicant will normally be a tenured faculty member of York University. In order to ensure alignment with Faculty priorities, preference will be given to an individual who holds an academic appointment in the School of the Arts, Media, Performance and Design. The successful applicant will have broad University experience and superior leadership and administrative skills.
College masters receive a stipend, course release and sabbatical top-up.
Applications and/or nominations for the Master of Winters College position should be addressed to the chair of the Search Committee and submitted electronically, care of Jim Fenton, secretary to the Search Committee, by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is Feb. 13.