York University President and Vice-Chancellor Mamdouh Shoukri has issued this invitation to the York community:
It’s time to show your #YorkUSpirit at Red & White Day!
On Thursday, Nov. 13, I invite all students, staff and faculty to join in the celebration and wear red and white or York gear to show your pride and passion for this great University.
This year, we have a particularly exciting array of activities taking place on our two campuses as we come together to share our community spirit and celebrate our achievements.
Red & White Day will tip off at the Tait McKenzie Centre on Wednesday, Nov. 12 as the York U women’s and men’s varsity basketball teams host their home openers, starting at 6pm. All community members are welcome to attend and cheer on the Lions as they launch their new season. Students attend free with their YU Card. Ticket information available here.
There are numerous ways to participate in Red & White Day on Thursday, Nov. 13, including:
- #YUSpirit Selfie contest and photo booth, online and in Vari Hall,
- Return of the Best in Class Photo competition,
- Food trucks and food discounts on both Keele and Glendon Campuses,
- Spirit Rally at 12pm in the Student Centre,
- 25 per cent off red and white merchandise in the YorkU Bookstore,
- York Federation of Students Free Breakfast for students in Vari Hall,
- Stress Busters Carnival in the Lower Bear Pit featuring therapy dogs,
- Recreation York Showcase in the Ross-Vari Link.
In addition, this year we are pleased to announce a very special Red & White Day guest to the University.
York alumnus Gerry Dee (BA ’92), more commonly known as “Mr. D” from the hit CBC sitcom of the same name, will be visiting us on Nov. 13. Join us at The Underground in the Student Centre at 3:30pm for a conversation with Dee, as he discusses both his time at York University and his life after graduation.
I look forward to seeing you there!