The best and the brightest of undergraduate and graduate students in the Department of Psychology, Faculty of Health, were honoured for academic excellence at the 2014 Psychology Awards.
Students were recognized for their achievements, including for outstanding papers and honours theses, highest GPAs and more.
“This entire event is so fabulous. We have exceptional students, and it’s so fantastic to see them here with all their support systems – friends, families, mentors and peers. This is my favourite day of the year,” said Professor Suzanne MacDonald, chair of the Department of Psychology.
The following is the list of awards and winners:
- Second-year book prize – BA – Andrew Hunter, BSc – Shaheem Abid
- Third-year book prize – BA – Christina Ransom, BSc – Omri Arbiv
- Fourth-year book prize – BA – Josh Lipszyc, BSc – Jennifer Redwood
Koenig Undergraduate Psychology Award
- Omri Arbiv, Robert Caratun
W.B. Templeton Honours Thesis Award
- Sarah Zohar, under the direction of supervisor Jennifer Steeves, for her honours thesis: Happy faces on the left are right: Emotional cue salience using chimeric faces.
Ivana Guglietti-Kelly Award
- Alexandria West, under the direction of supervisor Doug McCann for Who am I, what do I speak, and how do I think? Relationships between bicultural identity, bilingualism and cognition.
Ivana Guglietti-Kelly Prize
- Jasmine Khattra, under the direction of supervisor Lynn Angus for Client Perspectives on Corrective Experiences in Cognitive Behaviourial Therapy and Motivational Interviewing for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: A Pilot Study.
Honours Thesis Poster Prize
- Leah Breslow, under the direction of supervisor Joel Goldberg for Stigma of mental illness and peer and parent relationships among Jewish high school youth.
- Jennifer Redwood, under the direction of supervisor Joe Baker for Positional differences in the mortality risk of elite rugby players.
Richard Goranson Memorial Research Award
- Artem Assoiants – supervisor, Chris Bell
- Robert Caratun – supervisor, Jessica Fraser Thomas
- Susanna Kim – supervisor, Alex Rutherford
- Katherine McDonald – supervisor, Joseph DeSouza
- Sonja Zdjelaric – supervisor, Jim Bebko
CPA Certificate of Excellence
- Adrian Bartlett – supervisor, Kari Hoffman
- Robert Chalmers – supervisor, David Flora
- Stephania Moro – supervisor, Jennifer Steeves
- Heidi Marsh – supervisor, Suzanne MacDonald
- Sara Ahola Kohut – supervisor, Rebecca Pillai-Riddell
- Kyle Nash – supervisor, Ian McGregor
Susan Mann Dissertation Scholarship
- Kaley Roosen, nominated by Jennifer Mills for Women with Physical Disabilities and Disordered Eating: A Mixed Methods Approach.
- Evelina Lou, nominated by Richard Lalonde for Minority Stereotypes, Identity and Well-being among Chinese Canadians.
Norman Endler Award
- Jeremy Burman – supervisor, Chris Green
- Heidi Marsh – supervisor, Suzanne MacDonald for Apes in the Information Age: An Investigation of Information Management by Orangutans (Pongo ableii)
Graham Reed Bursary
- Joshua Smith – supervisor, Anne Russon
Monica Reena Goyal Memorial Bursary
- Khuraman Mamedova – supervisor, Jill Rich
Michael Friendly Award for Quantitative Methodology Research
- Alyssa Counsell, nominated by Robert Cribbie
Marian Regan Memorial Prize
- Kevin DeSimone – supervisor, Keith Schneider for Resolving the projections of an occluded stimulus on the human cortical surface
- Stafania Moro – supervisor, Jennifer Steeves for Audiovisual processing in people with one eye.
Council of Canadian Departments of Psychology – Teaching Assistantship Awards (CCDP)
- Ashley Morgan
- Natalie Michel
- Erin Cooper
- Maria Fuda
- Ashley Malin
- Hien Nguyen
- Lauren Joly
- Irina Kapler
- Carrie Smith
- Debi Stransky
- Leah Keating
- Alyssa Counsell
- Ameeta Dudani
- Christina Weston
- Susan Sergeant
E. Lynn Kirshner Memorial Scholarship (not awarded for this year)