The context of student experience in higher education has changed dramatically over the past decade. There has been a remarkable shift in focus to enhancing quality in student retention, student engagement and student success. Building on this scholarly and practical work, a new vision has been created for the Faculty of Health and its two related colleges: Calumet and Stong. The aim is to support collaborative, systematic planning and resourcing to enhance excellent student programming. This will enable the Faculty to achieve the goal of providing a ‘high quality student experience’. This focus on the student experience directly addresses both the University’s and Faculty’s priorities, as well as recommendations of the 2006 Task Force Report on the Colleges at York University.
The Faculty of Health is seeking dynamic faculty members with expertise in student learning and development, as well as senior level academic experience, to lead the colleges and implementation of this innovative vision. The incumbents will be responsible for:
- Strengthening and integrating senior leadership of Stong and Calumet Colleges working closely with the Faculty of Health executive team;
- Providing strategic direction and leadership to those in the newly created role of Student Success Coordinator who are responsible for the planning, implementation and evaluation of high quality programs for students at all points along the student life-cycle;
- Providing support for the integrated governance structure – the Student Success Council – which includes the Masters, Director of OSAS, Student Success Coordinators, Executives (Chair/President) from Faculty of Health Student Caucus and both College Councils, and faculty members;
- Collaborating with the Office of Student & Academic Services and central services under the VP Students, to advance student advising and to foster integrated student success programming;
- Applying a scholarly approach to the identification and implementation of programs to support student engagement and success – ensuring programs are evidence based, measurable and effective; and
- Managing Stong and Calumet Colleges according to the Mastership – Job Description (Adjusted May 2009).
Calumet and Stong Colleges, while distinctive in their identity and focus, have a shared mission to create communities of learning that support student success, foster leadership development and provide opportunities for community engagement. The Colleges seek to involve students, alumni, faculty members, Fellows, staff and community members in an enriching intellectual and social environment. The College Master provides leadership for these communities. The Master has a commitment to student learning and development and to enhancing the experience of York’s students.
Applications and nominations are invited for the Master of Calumet and for the Master of Stong Colleges, commencing July 1, 2014, normally for a period of five years. A given faculty member may be considered as an applicant/nomination for one or both Colleges (specify). Please include an updated CV, letter of intent (for those self-nominating, or those who are nominated and agree to have their name stand), and nomination letters.
The successful applicant will normally be a tenured faculty member of York University. In order to ensure alignment with Faculty priorities, preference will be given to an individual who holds an academic appointment in the Faculty of Health. The successful applicant will have broad University experience and superior leadership and administrative skills. The Master will have a thorough knowledge of York’s academic and administrative processes and will have a scholarly interest in student development, leadership and success.
College Masters receive a stipend, course release and sabbatical top-up.
Applications and/or nominations for the Master of Calumet and the Master of Stong Colleges should be submitted to Professor John Amanatides, chair of the Search Committee, care of Kathy Thomas, secretary to the Search Committee, by sending an e-mail to email@example.com. The deadline for applications is Jan. 24, 2014.