Applications are now being accepted for projects that advance accessibility at York University.
The York University Accessibility Fund (YUAF) is a pan-University fund that has been established to make the Keele and Glendon campuses more accessible to persons with disabilities. The fund, administered by the Office of the Vice-President Finance & Administration, was created to improve the infrastructure and broaden accessibility for persons with disabilities in the York community.
Individual students, faculty and staff members, academic and administrative units, clubs, associations, organizations and college councils are all eligible to apply.
Some of the possibilities that can be pursued through the fund include:
• Classroom and practicum technological equipment and supports, such as assistive devices, software, or other equipment purchased by an administrative unit and provided on a loaner basis.
• Disability awareness and education through activities that promote and support ongoing education within the York University Community.
• Supplemented support for extra or co-curricular and out-of-class activities as well conferences hosted by the University, such as support services for participants.
• Support for disabled York University students presenting at conferences hosted elsewhere.
Applications will be accepted several times each calendar year. Applications that are time-sensitive (conferences or symposia) will be considered on an as needed basis. Requests that relate to student accessibility, both on and off campus, will be given priority.
Applications for the first round are due March 11. For more information and the application form, visit the York University Accessibility Fund website at http://www.yorku.ca/vpfa/yuaf.html.
For assistance with the application process, contact the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) Office at 416-736-2100, ext. 23050, or Counselling & Disability Services at any of the following numbers.
- Learning Disability Services: 416-736-5383
- Mental Health Disability Services: 416-736-5297
- Physical, Sensory and Medical Disability Services: 416-736-5140
Applications should be addressed to:
York University Accessibility Fund
c/o Steve Dranitsaris, senior executive officer
Office of the Vice-President Finance & Administration
950 York Research Tower, Keele Campus
Development of the fund was a collaborative effort by a small group of Access York members, in particular Karen Swartz, director, Physical, Sensory and Medical Disability Services; Leanne DeFilippis, AODA coordinator; and Faculty of Education Professor Neita Israelite, vice-chair, Access York.
“This fund is an unprecedented opportunity for persons with disabilities,” says Israelite. “Vice-President of Finance and Administration Gary Brewer created the fund to support accessibility initiatives at the University. We strongly encourage all members of the York community to apply!”