A delegation of 12 researchers from York’s Faculty of Science & Engineering, led by Dean Janusz Kozinski and Associate Dean Imogen Coe, are back in Canada following a visit to Korea that took place Feb. 20 to 25.
While in Korea, the group met with representatives from 18 universities, medical centres, hospitals and research institutions. The key mandate for the meetings was to afford researchers from York University and Korea an opportunity to explore and establish joint bilateral research partnerships that could be further developed by way of novel funding initiatives.
“Our Faculty considers international partnerships as the key cornerstone supporting our strategic priorities. Partnerships like those with Korea stimulate the spirit of innovation with clear focus on research outcomes that have an international impact,” said Kozinski.
The journey started with a Canada-Korea Workshop on Environmental Monitoring, Space Missions and Life Sciences Research event on Feb. 20 at the Canadian Embassy in Seoul, Korea. The workshop gave participants the opportunity to discuss advances and innovations in their respective areas of research, exchange information and ideas, and establish research collaborations. Attending from Korea were: Michael Danagher, senior trade commissioner at the Canadian Embassy, and Donald MacKenzie, chair of Chamber of Commerce, and representatives from the Korean National Research Foundation.
The delegation spent the rest of the trip fulfilling their ambitious itinerary. Visits included stops at Yonsei University, the National Institute of Meteorological Research, the University City of Seoul, Yonsei School of Integrated Technology, Konkuk University, Anam Hospital, Korea University, Seoul National University, Inha University, Sunchon National University, Chungnam National University, Konkuk University, the Korean Astronomy & Space Science Institute, the Korea Advanced Institute of Science & Technology, ChungAng University, the Korean Aerospace Research Institute, Samsung Kyungbuk Medical Center, Sungkyungkwan University and the National Meteorological Satellite Center.
York researchers from the Faculty of Science & Engineering who participated in the mission were:
- Imogen Coe – associate dean of research & partnerships, and a professor in the Department of Biology
- Janusz Kozinski – dean of the Faculty of Science & Engineering and a professor in the Department of Earth & Space Science and Engineering
- Andrew Eckford – professor, Department of Computer Science & Engineering
- Gunho Sohn – professor, Department of Earth and Space Science and Engineering
- Gary Sweeney – professor, Department of Biology
- Tom McElroy – professor, Department of Earth & Space Science and Engineering
- Jack McConnell – professor, Department of Earth & Space Science and Engineering
- Spiros Pagiatakis – professor and chair of the Department of Earth & Space Science and Engineering
- Regina Lee – professor, Department of Earth & Space Science and Engineering
- Brian Solheim – faculty member, Department of Earth & Space Science and Engineering
- Robert Tsushima – professor, Department of Biology
- John McDermott – professor, Department of Biology
For more information about the mission and the delegation, visit the Canada-Korea Workshop on Environmental Monitoring, Space Missions and Life Sciences Research website.