Navigating your way to buildings on York’s 650-acre Keele campus got easier today with the debut of the University’s five new mobile sites offering content for iPhone, BlackBerry and Android smartphone users.
York U Mobile provides users with convenient and quick access to interactive maps of the University’s Keele and Glendon campuses, the current student portal, the University Libraries, York’s home page and the Passport York secure sign in. Today’s new mobile offerings complement York’s existing portfolio that optimizes content from the Faculty of Fine Arts, Media Relations, Future Students and York International websites.
|Above: York U Mobile provides smartphone users with access to interactive maps, the University Libraries, the current student portal, YFile news, York events and more|
“York U Mobile aims to improve the student experience and enhance the convenience and availability of University services. This initial launch is a great start, providing the information and services students, faculty and staff identified as the top content and services they wanted on their mobile devices in an online survey conducted earlier this year,” says Bob Gagne, chief information officer, University Information Technology (UIT).
Getting to York U Mobile is quick and easy: just go to www.yorku.ca on an Internet-enabled mobile device, where it can be bookmarked and added to the device’s home screen for easy access. York U Mobile is compatible with the BlackBerry Torch, BlackBerry Bold models running the BlackBerry 6 operating system, iPhone and iPod Touch running iOS 4 or later, and Android phones running version 2.2 and later. Once enabled, smartphone users will have access to the information they need while on the go, including:
- Interactive maps of the University’s campuses, providing help in navigating to any of York’s academic or administrative buildings. Users can now search the location of a building on their smartphone, and the map offers the ability to zoom in, zoom out or scroll in any direction. The site will be upgraded as new buildings and features are introduced.
- Easy access to the University’s telephone and e-mail directory, enabling users to search by first and last name for phone numbers, e-mail addresses and office locations for York faculty and staff. (Contact details for current students are limited to e-mail addresses only.)
- Information on events and performances for those who are in the mood for some light jazz, the latest play at one of York’s theatres, or an upcoming special lecture or symposium.
- University news from YFile, York’s daily newsletter.
- A mobile option allowing users to search all of the records in York’s libraries to find where a book is located. Bibliophiles can learn more about library hours, the archives and the status of their book loans and library account information.
- Secure access through Passport York for students to the my.yorku.ca current student portal, which offers personalized information about classes, schedules, grades, final exams and the ability to get York e-mail.
- A quick and powerful mobile search function offering a way to search across most of the content available through York U Mobile.
York U Mobile is an initiative of the Mobile Interactive Web Strategy Working Group. Led by the University Relations Division and the UIT department, the mobile group was formed in November 2010 and includes some 30 volunteer members from across the University with representatives drawn from communications, information technology and the student body.
These mobile sites are part of a broader initiative to improve the mobile experience of students, faculty, staff, visitors and neighbours who interact with York University’s campus and community. The sites will continue to be expanded and improved to include new features as they become available. Stay tuned for the launch of a mobile-optimized Air York in August.
Find a bug? Want to recommend a feature? Your ideas and experiences with York U Mobile will help inform future development. Suggestions, ideas and thoughts are encouraged and can be submitted to the Mobile Interactive Web Strategy Working Group by using the feedback form on the York U Mobile site.
For help with York U Mobile features, contact the UIT help desk at 416-736-5800, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.