Quartet of York Lions to participate in All-Star Charity Shootout

York University Lions men’s basketball players Dejan Kravic, David Tyndale and graduate Tut Ruach (BA Spec. Hons. ’10), as well as former head coach Bob Bain, have been selected to participate in the fifth annual All-Star Charity Shootout (ASCS) taking place on Saturday, July 17, at York University’s Tait McKenzie Centre.

Right: Dejan Kravic

The game, featuring 20 of the top basketball players from across Canada, will begin at 3:30pm and will be followed by a free barbecue for all fans in attendance.

Kravic, a six-foot-10 forward from London, Ont., was York’s male rookie of the year and a member of the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) East all-rookie team this past season. He finished the year ranked first in the OUA and second in the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) in blocks with 1.91 per game, as well as fourth in the OUA and fifth in the CIS in rebounds with 8.8 per game. He also averaged 13.2 points per game, second on the team.

Tyndale was named to the OUA East second all-star team after finishing 11th in the OUA with an average of 16.5 points per game and 13th in assists with 3.26 per game. The five-foot-11 guard from Mississauga, Ont., was the OUA East rookie of the year in 2008-2009.

Right: David Tyndale

Ruach was a five-year player on the Lions before finishing his interuniversity career in 2008-2009. The OUA and CIS rookie of the year in 2005, Ruach was an OUA East all-star three times and is second on York’s all-time scoring list with 1635 points. 

Bain is widely recognized as a coaching legend in men’s university basketball, having recently retired this past February after 37 years at the helm of the Lions. A two-time CIS coach of the year and nine-time OUA coach of the year, Bain coached his final regular-season game for the Lions on Feb. 20 and then led them to an upset of the University of Toronto Varsity Blues in the first round of the playoffs.

Where success is concerned, the numbers don’t lie for Bain. During his tenure, he led his teams to 11 OUA East Division championships, six OUA titles and two bronze medals in eight CIS championship tournament appearances. In those 37 years with Bain leading the way, the men’s basketball squad qualified for the playoffs 33 times. 

Right: Tut Ruach

Don’t miss out on your chance to see these players go head-to-head, all for a good cause. Tickets are now on sale and cost $25 for adults, $20 for students (with valid identification) and $10 for children aged seven to 15. Children under seven are free. Buy your ticket before June 25 for a chance to win a $500 Visa gift card. 

Not only will you be part of a fun and exciting basketball experience, you’ll be celebrating five years of raising funds to provide better lives for youth in the community, the country and around the world. This year, the ASCS is proud to support War Child Canada and the Michael “Pinball” Clemons Foundation. The winning team’s charity will receive 60 per cent of the proceeds with the remaining 40 per cent directed to the other charity. 

This year’s event will be bigger and better than ever, with a free barbecue, live entertainment and celebrity appearances following the game. So what are you waiting for? Get your ticket from Fitzallen Sutton at 416-875-7385 or Alyson Rowe at 416-971-7474. 

For more information on the All-Star Charity Shootout, click here.

All-Star Charity Shootout Players (teams to be determined)

Alex Johnson – California State University, Bakersfield (NCAA)
Tristan Blackwood – Eiffel Towers Den Bosch (professional)
David Tyndale – York University (CIS)
Isaac Kwan – University of Windsor (CIS)
Nick Magalas – University of Toronto (CIS)
Clinton Springer – Brock University (CIS)
Tut Ruach – York University (CIS)
Andre Wilkins – Cornell University (NCAA)
Antwi Athuene – Viva Amida (professional)
Jamie Searle – Lakehead University (CIS)
Matthew Thornhill – McGill University (CIS)
Paul Campbell – University of Hawaii (NCAA)
Dejan Kravic – York University (CIS)
Mitch Leger – Queen’s University (CIS)
Jared Mintz – Lafayette College (NCAA)
Greg Surmaz – AZS Koszalin (professional)
Boris Bakovic – Ryerson University (CIS)
Eric Smith – Durham College (CCAA)
Tristan Martin – Premier Basketball League (professional)
Jovain Wilson – Fleming College (CCAA)

Head Coaches

Team War Child Canada: Bob Bain – York University (CIS)
Team Michael “Pinball” Clemons Foundation: Mike Katz – University of Toronto (CIS)