The Toronto Police Service yesterday announced that one man had been arrested in connection with the sexual assaults reported at York University on Sept. 7.
Police are investigating two sexual assaults and an attempted sexual assault that occurred in the early morning hours of Sept. 7 at Vanier Residence. According to police, two suspects sexually assaulted the first and second victims, followed by an attempted assault of another woman. They also entered three other rooms but were scared off.
Arrested is Daniel Katsnelson, 25, of Thornhill, Ont. York University confirmed that he graduated from York in 2006.
Katsnelson is facing 11 charges:
- five counts of break and enter;
- two counts of sexual assault;
- two counts of gang sexual assault; and
- two counts of forcible confinement.
Another man is still wanted in connection with the sexual assaults. Should you have any information about him that may assist the police, you are asked to contact the Toronto Police Service Sex Crimes Unit directly at 416-808-7474 or Crime Stoppers at 416-222-TIPS (8477).
The Toronto Police Service said in its announcement: "On Wednesday, Sept. 19, 2007, police received information that led investigators to identify and arrest one of two men wanted for the sexual assaults."
It added: "Police would like to thank York University, the community and the media for the support they have received with the ongoing investigation."
In the wake of the assaults, York University implemented extra security measures, including:
- effective doubling of York security patrols.
- increasing staffing at Vanier Residence.
- increasing staffing at other residences on campus.
- heightened on-campus presence by the Toronto Police Service.
- postering across campus, reminding students to be vigilant.
- alerts issued through all channels, including Web sites, direct e-mails and ongoing contact with student government and associations.
- on-site counselling for students.
York Security Services can be contacted at 416-736-5333 or ext. 33333. Please refer to the York Security Web site for more information or further updates: www.yorku.ca/security.