More than four dozen outstanding undergraduates from York will have a chance to hear prominent speakers from the public and private sectors when they are chosen to attend a special retreat Jan. 17 and 18. Anyone interested has until Wednesday, Dec. 17, to apply. For more details and application forms visit York International.
The 5th annual Emerging Global Leaders Retreat, held by York International and the Office of Student Affairs will take place this year at YMCA Geneva Park in Orillia, Ontario. In 2002, the event won a national award for outstanding program in international education from the Canadian Bureau of International Education.
Each year York takes 50 of York’s exceptional undergraduate international, exchange and domestic students, selected through a university-wide competitive application process, to the conference centre in Orillia. While there, speakers representing different areas of the public and private sectors present on issues of importance to leadership in a global context.
Left: Bob Rae
Right: Svend Robinson
Left: Jim Reed
Right: Sheila Embleton
Confirmed speakers for this year’s event include:
- Bob Rae – lawyer and former premier of Ontario
- Svend Robinson – MP Burnaby-Douglas and human rights advocate
- Jim Reed – former anchor for CBC Newsworld International
- Nigmendra Narain – professor of political science at Western University
- Patrick Phillips – course director at York’s Schulich School of Business & case manager/academic planning specialist, York Counselling & Development Centre
- Sheila Embleton – York vice-president academic
York’s Emerging Global Leaders Retreat, initially a project geared to international students, has grown to new proportions since its inception in the 1999-2000 academic year. Begun by York International’s Roopa Desai-Trilokekar, project manager of strategic project initiatives in the Office of the Associate Vice-President International, it is now jointly funded by the Office of Student Affairs and York International.