Here are some useful tips from the Black Creek Regional Transportation Management Association and York’s Security, Parking & Transportation Services.
- Get your holiday cards done while riding the bus or carpooling;
- Walk or bicycle to work or when going shopping to burn off holiday calories and reduce stress;
- Carpool or take public transit and save money. Doing so just once per week can save you up to $2,000 per year;
- Shop online or via catalogues to save time and gas, and to relieve hassle;
- There’s no place like home for the holidays, so shop locally instead of driving to regional malls;
- Donate to a charity on behalf of some of the people on your gift list;
- Combine your errands into one trip. It saves time, gas and air pollution;
- Too tired for an early drive to work after that late night holiday party? Catch some more shut eye on the morning GO Train to York from Bradford, Newmarket, Aurora, King City, Maple and Rutherford;
- In Toronto, ride the red rocket…no, not Santa’s sleigh, the TTC! Buy a special One Week Pass for $28.50 and let the TTC do the driving to events, parties, shopping, family visits and more;
- Relax and reduce trips. Share some joy with family and friends during a quiet meal at home.
For more information on public transportation, visit the following Web sites.
- Carpooling: www.blackcreekcarpool.org
- GO Transit: www.gotransit.com
- TTC: www.ttc.ca
- YRT: www.yorkregiontransit.com
- Black Creek Regional TMA: www.bcrtma.org
- York Security, Parking & Transportation Services: www.csbo.yorku.ca/Transportation/