York”s international profile continues to grow. Adrian Shubert (below, right), York’s associate vice-president international, announces that York University has been invited to join a consortium of 10 Canadian and 12 American universities in the first Killam/Fulbright Undergraduate Mobility Scholarship between the two countries. This prestigious award follows the mandate of increasing mutual understanding between the people of Canada and the United States.
“The scholarship is for students who recognize that knowledge is gained by crossing divides and borders,” said Shubert. “It is open to students who consider themselves exceptional in every respect – students who have high academic achievement and are active members of their community and society as a whole.”
Nominated students will have the opportunity to study at a US partner institution, and also receive a $10,000 USD scholarship to cover living expenses for the nine-month study period, while continuing to pay York tuition.
This competitive third-year abroad program has been created by The Killam American Trusts and the Foundation for Educational Exchange Between Canada and the United States (Canada-US Fulbright Program).
The complete list of partners will be announced shortly. Confirmed partner institutes include:
- Bridgewater State College, Bridgewater, Massachusetts
- Ithaca College, Ithaca, New York
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- State University of New York at Plattsburgh, Plattsburgh, New York
- Smith College, Northampton, Massachusetts
- Tufts University, Medford, Massachusetts
- Wellesley College, Wellesley, Massachusetts
- Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut
Information sessions will be held at 108 Vanier College in the International Resource Centre on:
- Tuesday, Jan. 21, 10:30am
- Wednesday, Jan. 29, 12:30pm
For further information please contact: Beth Alaksa, coordinator, student mobility, York International, ext. 55177, e-mail email@example.com, or visit the following Web site: http://international.yorku.ca.