Summer research students at York University showcased their summer research projects to fellow students, faculty members and staff during the 2018 Faculty of Science Summer Undergraduate Research Conference on Aug. 7.
More than 50 students from the Faculty of Science, as well as those from the Faculties of Health, Liberal Arts and Professional Studies (LA&PS) and Glendon Campus, participated in the conference.
“The event was an excellent opportunity for students to present their summer research projects, practise science communication, and meet and learn from other students,” said Jennifer Steeves, associate dean of research and graduate education in the Faculty of Science.
The event kicked off with a welcome from York’s Dean of Science Ray Jayawardhana, York’s Associate Vice-President of Research Rebecca Pillai Riddell and NSERC’s Team Leader of the Scholarships and Fellowships Division Matthew Vincelli. The morning session included oral presentations from some students, while the afternoon portion was dedicated to students presenting their work in poster presentations.
Following the presentations, an awards ceremony led by Steeves recognized the top presenters. The following students received awards:
- Avani Abraham (supervised by biology Professor Ron Pearlman), first prize Nestmann Award for Poster Presentation;
- Syed Hassan (supervised by kinesiology Professor Ali Abdul Sater), first prize Nestmann Award for Oral Presentation;
- Farzana Teymori (supervised by LA&PS Professor Jimmy Huang), second prize for poster presentation;
- Lucas Torres (supervised by chemistry Professor Chris Caputo), second prize for oral presentation;
- Brandon Khan (supervised by chemistry Professor Gino Lavoie), third prize for poster presentation; and
- Jennifer Porat (supervised by biology Professor Mark Bayfield), third prize for oral presentation.
A summary of all the participating students’ projects can viewed in the conference program booklet.
Photos from the event have been posted on the Faculty of Science Facebook page.