Health & Wellness at Calumet and Stong Colleges, along with the York Mental Health Steering Committee, will mark March as Mental Health & Wellness Awareness Month at York University with a day of activities on March 28.
The event was rescheduled from its original date of March 14.
#HealthyYU will bring students, staff and faculty together for a day of free events, running from 11am to 3pm in various locations across the Keele campus.
Online registration to one or more of these events is encouraged, and can be done by visiting health.apps01.yorku.ca/machform/view.php?id=244319.
The schedule of events includes:
11am to 2pm: Drop-in #HealthyYU activities (Vari Hall)
• Stop by a booth in Vari Hall to pick-up a free snack of fresh fruit and speak with a Peer Health Educator.
11am to 2pm: ZenZone (Calumet College 129)
• Visit CC129 to find some quiet time in your day. Yoga mats, bean bag chairs, and mindfulness resources will be available to help you find your “zen zone.”
11:30am: Registration opens (Stong College 101, Master’s Dining Room)
• Visit the registration table on your way into the Stong College Master’s Dining Room for the guest speakers and/or workshop.
Noon to 1pm: Lunch and guest speaker – Cameron Mattice (Stong College 101, Master’s Dining Room)
• Mattice is an alum of York U’s kinesiology program. His childhood years were filled with adversity as he grew up in an athletic environment competing as an elite baseball player and overcame various health complications, including a diagnosis of stage 4b Hodgkins Lymphoma. His experiences have shaped the individual he is today, and given him the unique opportunity to positively impact the lives of others. Mattice’s area of expertise extends from strength training into the fields of nutrition and mindfulness practices.
1 to 2pm: Lunch and guest speaker – Deanna Orlando of YouthSpeak presents “My Battle with Generalized Anxiety Disorder” (Stong College 101, Master’s Dining Room)
• Orlando is a mental health advocate and speaker at YouthSpeak Performance Charity. Through sharing her personal struggles with generalized anxiety disorder, she hopes to educate young people about the importance of help-seeking and self-compassion in relation to positive well-being.
2 to 3pm: YU Are What YU Eat Workshop with facilitator Dr. Mazen Hamadeh (Stong College 101, Master’s Dining Room)
• Bring a favourite food with a label with you for this interactive workshop.
All day March 8 to 29: #HealthyYU photo contest
• Submit your entry to the Calumet College Facebook page or the Stong College Facebook page for the chance to win a prize.
1. SNAP: Take a picture that shows us how you incorporate healthy living and habits into your everyday life.
2. POST & TAG: Upload the picture to the Calumet College Facebook page or Stong College Facebook page with #HealthyYU AND #Calumet or #Stong.
3. WIN: Head to Facebook to vote for your winner (March 8 to 29). Three prizes will be awarded: Flex Card ($75, $50, $25). For full contest rules and regulations, visit calumet.yorku.ca/files/2017/03/HealthyYU-Photo-Contest-Rules-1.pdf.