York Senate Committee on Awards is now accepting nominations for University Professorships and Distinguished Research Professorships.
University Professorships are conferred upon long-serving tenured faculty members who have made extraordinary contributions to the University as colleagues, teachers and scholars. Such achievement fulfills the following requirements:
- significant long-term contribution to the development or growth of the University or of its parts;
- significant participation in the collegium through mentorship, service and/or governance;
- sustained impact over time on the University’s teaching mission; and
- recognition as a scholar.
The Distinguished Research Professorship is awarded to a member of the faculty who has made outstanding contributions to the University through research. The Distinguished Research Professor will have demonstrated scholarly achievement by sustained publication or other recognized and accepted demonstrations of sustained authoritative contributions to scholarship. Such achievement fulfills the following requirements:
- includes sustained and continuing contributions to the field or fields of scholarship involved;
- the work is of excellent quality;
- the work has made a major impact on the discipline or field of study involved;
- the work is recognized within and appreciated beyond the University; and
- the nominee will have an international reputation in the field of study involved.
Nominations may be made by all tenured faculty members, who shall provide a complete nomination file, including: the nominee’s CV, a detailed letter of nomination explaining how the candidate’s achievements conform to the general criteria, along with three letters of support from those in a position to comment on the nominee’s achievements and contributions. For the Distinguished Research Professorship, two of these letters will be from those external to the University who must be at arm’s length from the nominee. Thy will be asked to include in the letter of support a statement as to their relationship, if any, with the nominee.
The Senate Policy on Honorific Professorships is available on the Senate website. The deadline for submission is Friday, March 4. Nominations may be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or to the University Secretariat.