Patrick Monahan, York’s vice-president academic & provost, has issued this message to members of the York community:
As was announced recently, Vice-President Students Rob Tiffin will be retiring from the University on June 30, 2012, and we are undertaking a search for his successor. We have constituted a search committee to assist in the search process (with membership listed below). The committee will be assisted in the identification of outstanding candidates by a search consultant, Ms. Gerri Woodford of Odgers Berndtson.
In preparation for this search, we have carried out a review of similar positions with responsibility for student service portfolios at universities across Canada; this portfolio is generally led by a vice-provost, reporting to the provost, rather than by a vice-president. As a result, the search will be for a Vice-Provost Students, who will lead the Student Services Division, reporting to the provost. I want to emphasize that this change in title in no way diminishes our institutional commitment to students or the importance of student engagement and success; rather it underlines the centrality of student interests to the academic priorities of the University.
We will shortly be advertising internally and externally for this position. The search committee is also undertaking consultations with the community in regards to the opportunities and challenges associated with this portfolio and the experiences and qualities we should be seeking in candidates; and welcomes input from students, staff, and faculty. Individuals and groups are invited to make written submissions to the Search Committee or to request an opportunity to meet with members of the committee via its secretary, Marla Chodak (firstname.lastname@example.org). Nominations may be directed to the search consultant, Gerri Woodford (email@example.com).
Members of the Search Committee:
- Patrick Monahan, vice-president academic & provost, chair of the Search Committee for Vice-Provost Students
- John Amanatides, professor, Computer Science & Engineering, Faculty of Science & Engineering and master of Bethune College
- Angelo Belcastro, director, School of Kinesiology & Health Science, Faculty of Health
- Lucy Bellissimo, associate registrar, Systems & Communications
- Marilyn Lambert-Drache, associate dean, Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies
- Rhonda Lenton, vice-provost academic
- Salvatore Paneduro, graduate student, Faculty of Graduate Studies
- Catherine Salole, director, Student Community & Leadership Development
- Susan Vail, associate vice-president, Teaching & Learning
- Bryan Zarnett, undergraduate student
- Marla Chodak, search committee secretary, Office of the Provost