York faculty, staff and students may be looking for an alternative way to get to the University next week if the two sides in the TTC contract disupute can’t hammer out a deal. Members of the Amalgamated Transit Union, Local 113, have rejected the latest offer by the Toronto Transit Commission. A provincial conciliation officer has been appointed to meet with both parties today.
Union workers will be in a legal strike position as of 12:01am, Tuesday, April 1, 2008. If there is a strike, there will be no TTC bus, subway or streetcar service.
In the event of a strike, York is encouraging members of the community to car pool, car share, cycle, drive or take a taxi. Here are some alternative commuting options for York University TTC customers:
- Smart Commute – North Toronto, Vaughan has a carpool ride-matching service available to all community members: The Carpool Zone will assist community members in finding a ride-match. If you need a ride or are willing to drive other community members, register for the carpool program.
- Daily parking will be available in the visitor parking lots on campus, which includes: York Lanes parking garage, Student Services parking garage, Arboretum parking garage, Founders Road visitor’s lot and North West Gate visitor’s lot. For more information about visitor parking lots and the daily rates, visit the Parking Services Web site.
- Faculty, staff and students are able to join Zipcar, a car sharing company. All members of Zipcar will have access to Zipcar’s network, which includes two cars on the Keele campus, one at the Glendon campus and many other cars located throughout the City of Toronto. For more information and to become a member, see Zipcar.
- To obtain assistance in alternative trip planning or more information on alternative transit (ie. YRT/VIVA or GO Transit from the North, East or West) or cycling options, e-mail email@example.com or info@SmartCommuteNTV.ca.
For specific route and transit information, contact:
- TTC or call 416-393-INFO
- GO Transit or 1-888-GET-ON-GO (416-869-3200)
- YRT/VIVA or call 1-866-MOVE-YRT (668-3979)
In the event of a strike, all community members should plan their trip ahead of time and give themselves additional time to get to their destination as there will be a lot of congestion on the roads.