Osgoode Hall Law School Dean Patrick Monahan presented seven awards at the annual alumni reception at Osgoode Hall in downtown Toronto May 23.
Following the keynote speech by Supreme Court Judge Marshall Rothstein, Monahan presented the 2006 Dianne Martin Medal for Social Justice Through Law to Murray Klippenstein (right). The Toronto public-interest lawyer represented the family of Dudley George at the provincial inquiry into the native protester’s death at Ipperwash Provincial Park in 1995. He has also represented environmental and First Nations groups.
Monahan also presented six distinguished grads with 2006 Alumni Gold Key Awards:
- Achievement – Earl Cherniak (LLB ’60)
- Recent Graduate – Sue-Lynn Noel (LLB ’01)
- Public Sector – Barbara Hall (LLB ’78)
- Public Sector – Judith Wahl (LLB ’77)
- Service – Loretta Merritt (LLB ’85)
- Posthumous – Brian Turnbull (LLB ’89)
Above: Rosemary Turnbull (left, accepting for her late husband, Brian Turnbull), Barbara Hall, Sue-Lynn Noel, Loretta Merritt, Judith Wahl, Earl Cherniak, Murray Klippenstein and Osgoode Dean Patrick Monahan