The following article was sent by Recruitment & Marketing in York’s Office of Admissions:
Brace yourself for an invasion! More than 7,000 guests are expected this weekend for the March Break Gala – York’s biggest event of the year. The Office of Admissions, nine undergraduate faculties, 12 student service providers and the nine colleges are preparing to welcome future students and their families on Saturday, March 12, from 10am to 3pm. The joint effort is guaranteed to show future students exactly why they should choose York for their postsecondary education.
To start the day in grand style, York has invited top scholars from across Canada to the exclusive Circle of Scholars Breakfast (9am, Underground Restaurant). Guests will meet York’s President and Vice-Chancellor Lorna R. Marsden, rub elbows with York’s best and brightest undergrads, and chat during the meal with students and professors from their chosen Faculty.
At 10am, in Vari Hall, the Gala begins with a blast of music and merriment. More than 80 events are scheduled, including performances, panels, mini lectures and previews of most of York’s undergraduate programs.
Right: Some of the student ambassadors who will help out during the March Break Gala
The faculties are providing program information stations, student services reps and opportunities to speak with admission advisers. Students can get hands-on in the Science Zone, enjoy a taste of Hollywood chic in Fine Arts and pursue a “Runaway Jury” through Atkinson. Innovative presentations offer the opportunity to meet with professors teaching first- and second-year courses. Here’s a sampling of the line up:
- Groove to the York Dance Ensemble performing in-studio.
- Browse information stations for all 50 academic programs offered by the Faculty of Arts – the largest in Canada.
- Tour York’s renowned Astronomical Observatory.
- Who wants to be an Atkinson Millionaire? Take part in an interactive game showcasing creativity while sharing some ‘inside’ information about being an Atkinson student.
- Join an informal Q&A session with current Schulich School of Business students.
- Try your hand at the Law School Admission Test (LSAT) at Osgoode Hall Law School.
- Learn about the “Culture Jamming” phenomenon in a mini-lecture offered by Environmental Studies.
Guests will be greeted at the Welcome Centre in a transformed Vari Hall by students, cheerleaders and Sport York mascots. Bus and walking tours of campus leave regularly from Vari Hall. General sessions being offered throughout the day include:
- The Perfect Combination: all the possible combinations in majors, minors and cross-faculty studies.
- Money Matters: crunch the numbers and discover the best way to help pay for a university education.
- York U: The Game Show: an informative, interactive and fun session to surprise even current York students.
More than 150 student ambassadors will circulate through the crowds to answer questions about classes and campus life. A Parents Panel will perform the same service for family members in a small group setting. The day wraps up as energetically as it started with Wibi, York’s award-winning student a cappella ensemble and York Idol winner Ayla Rodney-Simard.
Right: York Idol winner Ayla Rodney-Simard
For more information, visit the March Break Gala Web site.
For future students who cannot attend the Gala on Saturday, York is offering a version of the March Break program Monday to Friday, March 14 to 18 as well as Tuesday, March 22, and Thursday, March 24 (11am to 1:30pm each day). Participants will have the opportunity to talk to an admissions counsellor, take a tour, chat with current students and mingle with a representative from their Faculty of choice. Details are on the Future Students Web site.
Glendon campus is holding a March Break Gala on Sunday, March 13. Events include tours of the beautiful campus, one-on-one meetings with professors and chats with current students. For more details visit the Glendon March Break Gala Web site.
The 12 student service providers supporting the effort are the Alumni Office, York Bookstore, Career Centre, Student Financial Services, Housing, Office for Persons with Disabilities, Parking & Transportation, Safety & Security, Sport York, York is U, York International and Student Community & Leadership Development.