Winter is coming! Here are some tips to avoid slips, trips and falls
With the falling temperatures and wintry weather comes ice and snow.
Here are some important tips for a safe and healthy winter from Health, Safety and Employee Well-Being (HSEWB), the Community Safety Department, Facilities Services, Health & Safety Officers, the Joint Health & Safety Committees and Risk Management Services.
- Check the weather forecast, be prepared and give yourself extra travel time.
- Wear appropriate, slip-resistant footwear that is designed for use in the winter.
- Keep your hands free for stabilization.
- Exercise caution when getting in and out of vehicles.
- Avoid distractions such as using smartphones while walking.
- Take smaller and more frequent steps to maximize contact between your feet and walking surfaces.
- Stay on maintained pedestrian walkways and avoid taking shortcuts.
- Watch for wet or slippery floors when entering and exiting buildings.
York University community members are reminded that if they encounter an area that is icy or in need of snow removal, they should contact Facilities Services at 416-736-2100, ext. 22401 for the Keele Campus, and 416-487-6734 or 416-736-2100, ext. 66734 for the Glendon Campus.
For urgent calls outside of regular office hours, contact Security Services at 416-736-5333 (or campus phone ext. 33333).