Call for nominations: the 2018 Bryden Alumni Awards
Each year, the York University Bryden Alumni Awards celebrate outstanding alumni who have achieved the extraordinary and made remarkable contributions to York University and the community. This year’s Bryden Awards will be held on Nov. 20 – and the University Alumni Board is seeking nominations for award recipients.
The Bryden Alumni Awards are inspired by Bruce Bryden, who was an exceptionally committed and influential leader at York. Bryden was a member of the University’s first undergraduate class and he held several prestigious positions, including founding president of the York University Alumni Association and member of the York University Board of Governors. To honour his vision and exemplary leadership, these awards have been named after him.
This year’s recipients will be honoured in the following categories:
- Outstanding Contribution: An alumnus or alumna who has made significant contribution to the advancement of York University and its students through exceptional service, commitment and/or philanthropic contributions. This award can be given to recognize someone who has been engaged at York for many years or who has made a major impact in a short period of time. This contribution will have been transformational and will have helped York University improve its position locally, across Canada and internationally.
- Outstanding Achievement: An alumnus or alumna who has achieved eminence and distinction in their field and whose contributions, impact, integrity and success will serve to inspire alumni, faculty, staff and students. This award is intended to recognize significant achievement and should focus on mid- to late-career success.
- Tentanda Via: An alumnus or alumna who has demonstrated innovative, unconventional and daring leadership and success, reflecting the University’s motto, “The Way Must Be Tried.” This award can be given to recognize success at any point in the recipient’s career, and would normally focus on mid- to late-career achievements.
- One to Watch: An alumnus or alumna who has made significant impact in their field and/or community within 15 years of a bachelor’s degree or 10 years of a professional/graduate degree.
Past award recipients include:
- Colleen Johnston (BBA ’82), special advisor to the CEO, TD Bank Group, for Outstanding Achievement;
- Jennifer Keesmaat (MES ’99), former chief planner and executive director, City of Toronto, for Tentanda Via;
- Guy Burry (BA ’82), chairman and chief executive officer, WhiteHat Inc. and owner, Tenth Power Group, for Outstanding Contribution;
- Irene Sankoff (BA ’99) and David Hein (BFA ’97), creators of Come From Away, for One to Watch;
- Bruce Lourie (MES ’87) president, Ivey Foundation, for Outstanding Achievement;
- Nina Arsenault (BFA ’96, MFA ’00), interdisciplinary artist, for Redefine the Possible.
Nominations for the 2018 Bryden Alumni Awards will be accepted until Monday, April 30. Know someone you’d like to nominate for a Bryden Alumni Award? Click here for the nomination form.