Free events, free food, free swag for students during YorkFest 2016
It’s an eight-day welcome for new and returning students, when the York Federation of Students (YFS) hosts YorkFest Sept. 8 to 25.
This year, tradition continues with many opportunities for students to network, participate in meals, entertainment, spirit activities and more.
The Festival Village, a highlight of the event, will return to showcase hundreds of clubs at York so students can get acquainted with extracurricular interests on campus.
“The York Federation of Students is proud to present you with another successful YorkFest full of events that our 53,000-plus students look forward to year after year,” say YorkFest organizers.
Here’s a breakdown of events and activities:
Thursday, Sept. 8
- First Day of School Breakfast, 10am, Vari Hall – Hungry for breakfast? Join the festivities in Vari Hall for a free breakfast to kick off the school year.
Monday, Sept. 19
- Smoothie Breakfast, 10am, Vari Hall – This popular event offers free smoothies to students. Arrive early to this popular event to avoid the long lines.
- Dirty Bingo, 8pm, The Underground, Student Centre – A sexy and fun spin on Bingo with free Stag Shop prizes to be won. The event is hosted by the Big Mama Two-Four.
Tuesday, Sept. 20
- Lip Sync Battle, noon, Food Court, Student Centre – Students are invited to rock out to their favourite jams.
Wednesday, Sept. 21
- Festival Village, 10am, Campus Walk – The annual festival village featuring more than 200 clubs and all colleges on campus. Free food, free orientation kits, free giveaways, and more, including a free York Federation of Students agenda.
- Casino Night, 7pm, The Underground, Student Centre – An evening of casino games on campus that includes the opportunity to win great prizes. This is a dry event.\
Thursday, Sept. 22
- The Bagel Bar, 10am, Vari Hall – Join YFS for a free mid-week breakfast on Spirit Day. Come to Vari Hall and enjoy a free bagel.
- YorkFest Concert, 7pm, Aviva Centre – Watch an amazing free concert (artist TBA). YU Cards are required for entrance into the concert.
Friday, Sept. 23
- Meditation, noon, 307 Student Centre – Enjoy a nice calming end to a fun-filled week, and participate in this lunchtime meditation session.
- Cirque du Soleil, 7pm, The Port Lands – The circus is coming to York! Enjoy a performance by these renowned artists and performers.
Saturday, Sept. 24
- Homecoming, 7pm, York Stadium – Calling all York Lions! “Deep in the heart of the YU jungle, you can hear the Lions rumble!”. Cheer on the Lions as they take on the Carlton Ravens at this year’s homecoming celebration.
Sunday, Sept. 25
- Buffalo Bills Tailgate Party, Ralph Wilson Stadium – Join YFS and cross the border to have fun at a tailgate party before watching the Buffalo Bills kick off the NFL season.
For more YFS news, events and activities, visit yorkfest.ca.